What is club volleyball?
Club volleyball is a USAV sanctioned league that is more competitive than playing at a recreational, school or social level. The age divisions are from 11 & Under through 18 & Under (when an athlete graduates from high school). There is no limit to play up in age groups, but you cannot play below your age group.
All club teams require a tryout each season, therefore it's a selective sport. Players are chosen based on skill level, athletic ability, potential, attitude and team commitment.
What is SA Xtreme Volleyball?
The San Antonio Xtreme Volleyball Club (SA Xtreme) is an elite junior volleyball club sanctioned though the Lone Star Region and USA Volleyball. We are based in San Antonio, Texas, having players from all throughout the Central Texas region.
What are the fees to play for SA Xtreme?
Fees vary between age groups due to differences in tournaments and practice sessions. We require an initial, non-refundable deposit when you accept a team offer. The remaining balance is spread out in monthly payments throughout the season.
What do club fees include?
Club fees include coach's salary, travel expenses, tournaments, gym rental for practices and scrimmages, fitness sessions given by certified trainers, admin fees and other incidentals. Each player will also receive 2 practice shirts, 2 jerseys, 1 backpack, 1 pair of kneepads, 1 warm-up shirt or jacket and warm-up pants. Tournaments are as followed:
What do club fees NOT include?
Club fees do NOT include spanks, volleyball shoes, USAV membership, parents' travel expenses, score or referee certification.
What should I bring to tryouts?
- All tryout participants must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- Dress in appropriate volleyball attire. We recommend all 11U-14U players, no matter the position, wear kneepads.
- Don't forget a water bottle!
- Beginners and younger players: please make sure to have your hair up/tied to avoid injury and distraction.
What age group am I?
Age Definition/Classification: the player's age on August 31, 2019.
For example, if you will be 16 years old on August 31, 2019, then you will tryout for the 16 & Under team. Everyone must tryout in their pre-determined age group.
Players wanting to play up must contact Maggie Lakata - [email protected] - and be approved by the club.
How many players are selected for each team?
Each team is generally composed of 8-12 athletes.
When will I know if I've made a team?
At the end of tryouts you will be told if you have made a team or not, or are being picked up as an alternate. If you are offered a spot on a team (congrats!) you will then be asked to fill out paperwork and player contracts. We allow 72 hours to make a final decision.
What is an alternate player?
If you are listed as an alternate player this means we currently do not have a position available for you with SA Xtreme. However, if someone were to decline their offer, we may have an opening.
What if I'm not 11 years old yet?
You do not have to wait until you're 11 to play club volleyball. Any athlete under the age of 11 can tryout for the 11 & Under division.
Can I watch my player's tryout if I am the parent/legal guardian?
Yes! However, you are not allowed on or near the court. Please do NOT distract, cheer for or coach your child for any reason during the tryout. This only hinders them and other players from having their full attention during the session. We understand this can be a difficult and nervous time for players and families, but we do our best to make this experience as pleasant as possible.
Concerns and Playing Time
Can I talk to the coach during tournaments about playing time?
Please keep all issues concerning playing time until AFTER the tournament is over.
Why don't all players get equal playing time?
We understand playing time can be a sensitive subject for players and families. While we do guarantee a fair amount of playing time for each player, we do not guarantee an equal amount. Every tournament holds a high-significance in the club volleyball season. Regional tournaments determine a team's overall seed and play a major role in National Qualifiers. Playing at the national level - where a high competitive standard is expected always - requires having the best gameplay, team chemistry and consistency on the court. Your club membership fees pay for practices, fitness training, experienced coaching, tournament fees and player hotel rooms, NOT playing time on the court during games/tournaments.
Additional things to note concerning playing time:
- Playing time can be affected by a player's attitude and ability to cooperate with the team.
- Commitment to the team, practice and tournament schedule is also taken into consideration by coaches.
- Playing time is not personal. Ultimately, we're there to win!
- Sometimes, but not always, a player's ability to be well-rounded (playing "all the way around"; both front and back row; defense and offense) in volleyball is important.
How do I address a conflict or concern?
Naturally, issues can arise during the season. Here's a guideline we recommend you follow to ensure politeness, professionalism and a swift response:
- Encourage your child to communicate with their coach rather than you be the middle man.
- If step one isn't feasible, please set-up a meeting with the coach, player and parent after a practice.
- The final step will be to set-up a meeting with the club director, coach, player and parent. The club director will not get involved until either step 1 or 2 is carried out.
*There will not be any meetings without the player present.